Jonathan Larson was hugely impacted by the work of Stephen Sondheim, enough to use Sondheim's "Sunday" (from Sunday in the Park with George) as the basis for an entire number in tick, tick… BOOM!. So we've issued a challenge to today's cutting edge producers, house/electronic musicians, spoken word artists, and music-makers of all styles: take any piece from Sondheim's Sunday in the Park With George and remix it. Make it yours. Sample it. Adapt it. Run with it. Winners will present their pieces at this June 26th Lobby Project Event for Mr. Sondheim himself.
- Choose ANY song or piece of music from Stephen Sondheim's Sunday In The Park With George (this usage has been approved by Mr. Sondheim)
- Create your own take on this piece. All genres of music and performance are encouraged.
- You can sample audio to create a produced track, or you can use the material as the inspiration for a live composition or performance.
- New lyrics and text are permitted but are by no means required.
- Pieces should be no more than five minutes long.
- The submission deadline has passed. Winners will be chosen by a panel headed by artistic director Jeanine Tesori and will be announced on June 12, 2014.
The winning writers will:
- Perform their work before the June 26th evening performance of tick, tick... BOOM!. Stephen Sondheim will be in attendance.
- Receive two tickets to that night's performance of tick, tick... BOOM!
- Receive a stipend of 200 dollars.
See below for the exciting submissions!